View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Yesterday, I installed new brake pads on the front (EBC FA185HH). I did a few hard stops to start bedding them in, but didn't get a chance to really try them out.

I had over 5000 miles on my stock brakes and although they took a long time to bed in, they weren't bad. After my quick bed-in, the new EBC already feel as good as stock. As they finish bedding in, I expect they'll get better and better.

Hey Joel not sure if you had seen this before or not but this is from EBC regarding bedding in their pads. I dont think it matters if its new rotor or old rotor since you're either having to slowly remove old glaze or put a new glaze on. I usually do exactly what you did when I get a new set of brake pads, but on my RX-3 I stuck to the book on this one and waited 200 miles for new pads to wear in a bit, and then did the emergency stops and saw a dramatic difference right away and much improved over stock. From the EBC website:

"In Street use situations... Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.
Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated."