View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
I see a lot made of the inability of the Hawk maintain extended highway driving. I also see a lot about people taking long highway trips on other 250cc enduro bikes, like the KLR250, WR250, and CRF250.

Are those other bikes in a different league than the Hawk? Is it just a matter of a gearing change? Are all 250cc bikes going to be wound out the max and uncomfortable at 60 mph?

I'm a total motorcycle noob trying to figure out what to get for a first bike. I'm not a big guy, 5'9" 150lbs. My plan involves a lot of highway time mixed with back roads for this bike.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
I'm considering a Hawk for the back roads around my place. I live right at the edge of 14,000 acres of federal land that's just trails and minimum maintenance roads, lots of places to camp. No highway riding to get there, it's basically right out my back door.

Would I be able to carry light camping gear for 1 night, and a passenger (my wife) on dirt roads and trails to the camping spots? Or is that too much load for the Hawk? I weigh 150, my wife is 130.

When I say lightweight camping gear, I'm talking about backpacking gear, not a 30 pack of Budweiser.��
I'm a bit confused here...one post you are looking for a bike for "a lot of highway time" and another post reads "No highway riding".

All I can add is that for a new rider, I wouldn't really recommend either riding highway or riding 2 up, both present challenges not really suited for a new rider IMHO.