View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 04:09 AM   #23

So you want to do an iron Butt do you...................
Heres some summation on the experience.
Go to the iron butt website and read all you can.
http://ironbutt.com/about/default.cf...TOKEN=59834847

It tells you all the witness forms and receipts you'll need to be certified that you actually did it.
It will tell you what is best to eat and not to eat so you don't get groggy. That's important.
Above all they want it to be a fun, safe event for any who participate. So if you excessively speed ,they will see it when they review your paperwork and if the times you took getting between cities are in excess of speed limits. They will not certify your ride. It can all be done at the posted speed limits as long as you don't spend hours in the coffee shop or dinking around sight seeing. We were just under 20 hours I believe.
It's a lot better to have partners to ride with the whole trip. I was solo for 80-90% of the time.
It's good to have a home team you can text too to let them know your on the move and OK.
My bike/ride was equipped with heated grips, heated jacket liner, 14x46 sprockets, Stock sprockets would of been fine , hand guards, 20-50 CSC premium syn oil, CSC accessary gel seat. Shinko 244 tires, water bottle, trail mix, granola bars, tire repair kit, tool kit.
Hi-Viz helmet and jacket cause it's better to see me coming from a ways off, then to smell me coming up close I always say.
GPS an important accurate witness to the miles you've traveled. We all know that the speedo and odometer are optimistic on the RX3. The last thing you want is to think you've gone 1000 miles by your odometer only to find yourself disqualified because you only really went 968 miles. Write the total miles on your bike at start incase the trip meter gets reset by mistake and you loose how many miles you've gone.
In 1055 miles I had no break downs, close calls with deer or cars, Every one I met was courteous at the gas/break stops.
I rode wide open throttle for hours on end to maintain the 65-70 mph getting up and down hills. The RX3 motor, cooling, charging ,FI all seemed to work flawlessly.
Mid grade fuel gained me 2-3 mph and more oomph going up hills.
Took 23.11 gallons of gas costing $57.90 for 1055 miles equals 45.65 MPG!!!!!
Would I do it again? Yes but on a bigger bike. The Rx3 proved that it could do it and that's what I wanted to accomplish this trip. I'm confident it could go across the US, coast to coast.
So there you have it . Going to bed now.
Any questions I'll be glad to answer as best I can.
It was kinda fun, kinda scarry at night , kinda uber cool coming in finishing and seeing the group all there safe and sound.
rj