View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

Good morning Cheesy! Your link did not play so well on my iPad, but I think I was able to get the gist of the technology

Definitely looks cool and innovative, but I honestly don't understand the motivation to simply not used derailers.

The efficiency of a chain is greater than 98%. It is smooth, effective, reliable, inexpensive, and certainly proven by scores of years of experience. It is cheap to manufacture, interchangeable, and is obviously made to work with existing frame technologies.

Non derailer systems might be cleaner, and lower maintenance, but in reality the conventional system requires very little maintenance, and the maintenance that it does require is pretty darn simple.

I am a partial Retrogrouch myself. I don't see the need for disc brakes on road bikes, although I strongly favor them on mountain bikes. I can't comment about cyclocross, I have never tried it.

I also don't see the need for hydraulic rim brakes, or electronic shifting.

One advantage to the technology that you cited, as I see it, is that there would not be any redundant ratios. In other words, my race bike has 22 gears, but in reality, probably only about 18 unique gears, and out of those may be 15 or so or spaced in such a way that they would be regularly and efficiently use. This is just a guess, I have not studied any of the charts…

Therefore, something that provided even as few as 12 real well spaced deliberately chosen gears, would be equivalent to maybe an 18 or 20 speed conventional bicycle. I do see the appeal in that, but I would not consider that a major motivating force to change frames and technology.

I appreciate it, would like to ride it, but I would probably be more inclined just to stick with what works.