View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #11

That sounds amazing! I'd love to see your setup.

When my Dad was visiting a couple of years ago, we went for a very chilly ride on the day after Christmas, since we don't often get snow around here (or even get much below freezing). He lost his left index finger in an industrial accident about 30 years ago, so his clutch hand doesn't cooperate when it gets cold out. He stalled it a few times towards the end of the ride, but at least my trusty China bike has electric start.

The whole ordeal got me thinking... what if he had a semi-auto to ride, like a Rekluse clutch? No way would I spend that kind of cash, so I started researching. The Honda ATC 200E was the only off-road trike that had a semi-auto five speed and electric start. The subsequent 200ES is shaft drive, so that's out. I bought a 200E motor, and I intend to start playing with it. It has a weird countershaft sprocket, but that won't matter if I swap in another transmission. Since the case is virtually identical to an XR200R, I should be able to swap in the six speed.

That'll give me a 200cc four stroke with a six speed and no clutch, along with a back-up pull-start. It'll bolt right in place of the existing China motor, and there will be no lever at the left hand.

In your case, you could swap the lever for a master cylinder, and use it to control the front brake. You'd still have gears to bang through, but it wouldn't likely ever stall at low rpm.

Just spitballin'.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer