View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #165

Well...yesterday

Yesterday I finally screwed up my courage, my tools, and printouts of the CSC valve adjustment tutorial, as well as some selected printings from the "Valve Adjustment Notes" thread from here. I had been putting off my first valve adjustment; as one of the guys in the Facebook owners group says, I follow directions well, but haven't wrenched on a motorcycle before!

Everything went pretty smoothly, with two minor exceptions: when I started to remove the port on the left side of the crankcase to turn the motor over, I started to strip it out with my 10mm Allen socket head. I knew if I kept going, I was screwed (so to speak), so I called CSC. In true CSC fashion, Gerry spent a minute walking me through what to do, and told me to call back if I needed anything else.

He told me to heat it up a little-I used my wife's hair dryer on high for about two minutes, and then lightly tapped the socket into the nut with a hammer. Put my ratchet on it, and with a gentle application of pressure, it came right out. Easy peasy! I applied some anti-seize compound so it will come out more easily next time, and we were off to the races.

The second uh-oh moment was when I put the intake valve cover on upside down-I saw the last post in the "Valve Adjustment Notes" thread, but didn't pay enough attention to it. When I got the adjustments where I wanted them (0.06 MM feeler gauge barely slides in, 0.08 won't), I put it back together and started it up-I intended to let it idle for a few minutes, because the next task was an oil change. I noticed oil leaking around the cover, so I turned it over (of course, I had already reattached the tank and all of the plastics, so they got to come off and go back on again), and no more leak.

I will say again that I am so happy to have found this group and the sense of community that I perceive here-I'm happy that you all are willing to share your knowledge and experience with newbies like me. I bought my RX3 having never seen or touched one, mainly because of the knowledge I gained from hanging around here and reading the experiences y'all were having with the bike.

Now it's time to ride some more!