View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 02:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
So here is the solution I will be testing out. Every other motorcycle I've ever owned or that I'm aware of vent from the crankcase directly to the air box with out all this OCS stuff. With a simple mod this can be accomplished on the RX3. I'm sure this will have warranty voiding implications if something I don't for see cause an engine related failure; Joe I realize that up front since I'm sharing this here.

As of right now this is an experiment and I don't encourage anyone else to following suit. But the engineer in me can't leave well enough alone; I'll keep everyone posted.
What a great experiment! I see several potential advantages:
  • Shorter line to the airbox could mean less condensation
  • With no trap to fill, all vapor is burned in the intake. (None poured on the ground)

And some potential disadvantages:
  • Heavy contaminants are not caught in the trap and stay in the crankcase.
  • The straight shot will likely mean a faster stream of vapor. This creates a pressure drop, causing more liquid to condense than in a slower stream.
  • Without a trap, condensation drops directly into the crankcase.

It's like a race ... Will the straight shot draw vapor into the airbox faster than it can condense and fall back into the crankcase?

As you test this setup, check the catch tube under the airbox after each run. I'll be very curious if liquid makes it to the airbox and is trapped there.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol