View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

There are lots of opinions on break-in procedure and I can't say any of them are wrong. For myself, I fall on the conservative side.

Engine Break-in

I agree that it's really hard to keep this engine under 5000 RPM. But IMO, for the first 500 miles try and keep the RPMs between 3500 and 6000 (under 7000 RPM for sure) to achieve a nice variable load that doesn't stress out your engine. A lot of this happens naturally, depending on curves and terrain. Rolling hills put the perfect load on your engine and let you naturally speed up and slow down. Curves do much the same, if you have any roads that follow a river or canyon.

The important thing is to vary your speed and load, so you're not pegging 6 or 7000 RPM for 20 minutes trying to get somewhere. Ease the RPMs down to 5500, then gradually bring them back up to 7000. Then drop them again. After 500 miles, you can be a lot freer with the throttle, but under 1000 miles, it's still a good idea to gradually increase the amount of time you spend at any given load, speed and RPM.

Also, keep an eye on your engine temps (2 bars), oil level (half of sight glass) and coolant level (half of the overflow bottle).

Brakes Bed-in

The front brakes on the RX3 need some help to properly bed in. I recommend going to an empty parking lot with a new bike and doing a series of 3 or 4 fast stops in a straight line from 25 mph. Let the brakes cool for a minute or two. Then do more stops from 35 mph and cool down. Then from 45 mph and cool down.

If at any time during this process you feel like your brakes are getting weaker, they're probably just too hot from this workout. Let them cool down for several minutes before continuing. Cool-down is very important.

This procedure will dramatically improve their stopping power right away, but the front brakes will continue to improve over the first 1000 miles as you ride.

Tire Break-in

For tire break-in, warm them up for 10-15 miles on normal roads. Then do some turns, gradually increasing lean angle over the first 50 or so miles. Some manufacturers recommend 100 miles to fully break in a motorcycle tire.

Remember that as you lean on a new tire, the edges aren't worn in yet and may be slippery. Some riders run sandpaper over the tire surface to speed up this process.

General Break-in Advice

Also use the first 500 miles to get to know your bike as a whole. How it sounds in different gears and under load. Listen for vibration, whining, buzzing, squeaks, etc. If anything sounds or feels funny, chase it down or ask questions.

All metal parts stretch, bend and compact under load. So recheck your bolts, cables and chain every so often, especially during break-in. Problems are rare, but you may find a poorly seated bearing, cooling issues, braking issues, loose cables, etc. It's better to find and adjust these things at low speed than at high speed.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 05-04-2016 at 08:29 PM.