View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Running an inner tube in a tubeless tire creates heat that the tire is not designed to deal with
Actually, that's not a real world riding problem. Ask anyone who's ridden around the world, they will tell you that having the ability to just swap out a tube is cheaper, easier and more readily available in 3rd world countries.

I've ridden at least 300,000 miles, all on tube type tires. Never once had a heat/friction related blow out. Punctures, yes.

Dealing with plugs, gas cartridges gets old. And never quite feels safe.

Now, if you think you are going to ride a sportbike or sport touring bike at speeds in excess of 80mph daily, then yeah... you don't ride tube type tires on those kind of bikes. That's where the misinformation comes from. But adventure riding, and dual sport riding, tubes will always remain the better option. Also, of note... there aren't too many places outside of the US where you can ride so fast that you will end up seeing speeds that push the limits of your tire rating. Especially off pavement.

Rims that hold a bead for tubeless tires are damn near impossible to change trail side. Plus, the compressor you might be carrying might not be able to re-seat the bead should you get it plugged/repaired.

A tube can be slimed, patched multiple times, (unless you shred it) to get you back to civilization. The rims are easier to deal with, the tire walls are softer, making it easier to change etc...

Rarely are you going to carry an extra set of tires. On super long trips, where I know the tires I'm using are going to need to be changed at some point, I've shipped them ahead at certain rendezvous points. But, carried a couple of tubes since they didn't take up much space. I've since started only carrying one tube, as I now prefer my dual sports with smaller, fat front tires. Essentially, I only have to worry about finding rear tires when I travel, and one tube will fit both front and rear wheels.