Thread: Clutch upgrade
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #31

The two RX3's we have here both have Maxima 10w40 non synthetic in them and both shift differently. Mine finds neutral with no problems and the other is a fight to find it. I don't think it's the oil it's the adjustment of the clutch or a combo of that and the chain slack being maybe to tight. I would play with clutch settings a bunch before worrying about the oil.

I have Rotella T6 lined up for mine as I used it for 40k miles on the Tiger (50k miles total) and the bike was in excellent shape when I sold it. The stuff is rated JASO MA so it passes the standards needed for a bike. In my experience the shifting would degrade after 2500 miles but I don't run oil longer than that in any of my bikes other than the Stelvio because it uses a dry clutch and separate transmission oil, that and 10w60 is expensive!

Is the clutch engagement point where the lever is nearly all the way out on your bikes? I feel like it should be maybe just past midway out on clutch pull as It feels like the clutch isn't fully disengaged when starting in first with the clutch in, seems bad for the starter as the clutch is definitely somewhat engaged. I start mine in neutral unless i forget.