View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Okay, leave me out of the discussion.

Spud, there is no leaving you out.

As chief cheerleader for CSC/Zongshen, second only to Joe Berk, your posts, like it or not, are probably responsible for many sales of RX3s.

I know they greatly influenced my purchase.

Quote:
I'm wondering if the noise might be caused by damaged bearings on the hub of the clutch basket, as described by Riceburner, in the following thread....

Is is possible the sound is coming from the clutch cover on the right, bottom side of the engine?
I have re-read Riceburner's thread about the clutch bearings.

I'm not averse to removing the clutch cover and taking a look.....I'm due for another oil change.....

If it is the clutch bearings, wouldn't the sound change when the clutch lever is pulled in, or when the clutch is engaged when in gear?

It doesn't change in frequency or pitch when going through the gears.

Quote:
However, you are certainly justified to "find a local shop to diagnose and repair the problem."
I have taken the RX3 to the only two independent motorcycle shops in town.

Neither shop will even consider working on a Chinese bike.

At the first shop I did get 3 guys to listen to the engine, after offering to buy them lunch....

All 3 agreed that the sound was from inside the engine, but could not agree as to what was making the sound.

At the second shop, 2 guys listened to the engine running...without having to resort to bribery...

Again, they did not know what the sound was, but agreed it was coming from inside the engine.

Back at home, I used the stethoscope once more to listen to where the sound was the loudest.

It still sounded like it was in the valve train/cylinder area, but I know that can be deceptive.

In Riceburner's posts, the first 2 mechanics that listened to his engine thought it was a piston/rod/bearing knock.

jb