View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #32

Gear Position Indicator Lights

Okay, this is going to be a 2 part post:

My ATA-250 came with a very simple 2 light system for showing what gear the wheeler is in; R for Reverse and N for Neutral. Well, I dont like that. The lights are dim and hard to see in bright light. I also do not like that I dont know what Forward Gear I am in at any point in time.

So, I am going to redo the lights and add 4 Forward Gear lights. I am going to use LED lights for power conservation and brightness. * I originally only ordered 2 lights because I was just going to replace the stock lights with LEDs, but I later decided to add 4 forward gear lights once I confirmed the tranny had a full harness for lights. The 2 original lights are the same size as the stock lights, the 4 additional lights are slightly smaller, but they are fully sealed and watertight.

I am also going to be moving the location of the lights. Right now, the 2 lights are on the handlebars on the little plastic cover. It is hard to see the lights under the handlebar pad, plus I have mounted a bracket to the crossbar on the handlebars that I am going to me using to mount another item to.

I traced the 2 current lights to the wiring harness. I noticed extra plugs in the harness and using a volt meter, determined that it DOES have a full gear position indicator in the tranny. I marked the harness with the appropriate gear number for wiring in the new lights.

I have ordered some ABS Plastic sheets from Amazon. I am going to use them to mold a cover and rivet it to the back side of the fender behind the new lights to protect the back sides from mud and grime from the front tire.

The new lights will be mounted on the Front fender wheel well, next to the ignition key. I have created a rendering of what the finished display should look like. I am going to mount and wire up the lights tomorrow, and I will mold the cover and install it when the ABS arrives Monday. The letters and number wont be there, those are just for reference in the pic.

See pictures below. Final pics will be posted upon completion.
Attached Images

Andrew

Mine: 2015 TaoTao ATA-250D Camo
Son 1: 2015 TaoTao T-Force 125 Camo
Son 2: 2015 TaoTao T-Force 125 Red Spiderweb