View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #67

"Spud, thank you for the idea of putting pennies in the spring to ease installation. I put 12 pennies in while the bike was on the centerstand. When I took it off the stand the spring was loose. I didn't need the spring while checking my grinding, going a bit at a time. When I was done with the grinding I just slipped the spring back on, deployed the centerstand, and removed the pennies. Easy, except one thing: To be sure that the pennies didn't pop out I used pliers to press them further into the coils. When I removed the pennies I found that they were bent! Oh well, 12 cents down the drain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for posting the good report.

Think of the dozen pennies as a excellent tool which you use one time, then discard. Fortunately, the tool only costs twelve cents.
Say it isn't so, RX3 blasphemy, Unamerican, definitely very unchineseyous. You could of put them in a vice an squished them suckers back into useful recycled life and installed many more springs or taken a trip on your RX3 that you know you want to go on this summer to a museum or aquarium and put them into one of those penny squishing machines that costs $.50 to make yourself a medallion of a seal or airplane . Just saying.
Having expounded on that, how the heck do you get the pennies into the spring? My spring was very strong (or I am very weak) an I could only get in about 6-8 pennies into the spring. I hooked one end of spring into a slot on the front crash bar ,I mean engine protector Joe B., and bent the spring to open up the coils. Any better way? rj