View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
What an awesome concept - I think my wife would divorce me for even thinking like that.

I don't have a lot of miles built up on mine, but I've done probably around 120-150 miles of "highway" or flat-out in 5th, with the last 10 or so after making a front sprocket change to 17T. I'm using the stock carb, and I weigh about 180lbs, so factor that in, but it struggles to push 60mph. Where I've been driving it, I'm not a traffic hazard, but if it was more populated where I had to drive it, I probably wouldn't - at least with my current setup.

With the stock 15T, it would top out 50-55, the 17T pushes that to 55-60. But it's complaining. Since it's not counter-balanced, pushing the red line, there's a good amount of vibration. Up to about 45mph in the lower gears, it doesn't really bother me, but topping it out in 5th above 50mph - it's annoying. I wouldn't say it "drones" along, more like "rattles" along. I really think you're starting to run up against the laws of physics and how much power you can squeeze out of it.

Now having said that, there are a couple of other folks on here that report running it upwards of 65mph or so. Hopefully you'll get a few more data points from them, but so far, I'm thinking that cruising at 60mph, full throttle in 5th will not be a relaxing way to drive 10k miles. A better carb/mix choice and/or gearing it even higher so that you cruise in the middle of 5th, then maybe.
Thanks for the great reply. My wife will probably divorce me if I don't go.

Most of the "droning" would be in the US. Once I get south of the border I suspect that 50 will be more the top speed. Several years ago I toured southern Africa on a 650. It was total overkill, always ran below 60mph and picking up a 475lb bike in the sands of the Kalahari is not fun. I got home and immediately bought my CRF250L

Americans in general have a preconceived notion.that travel bikes must be capable of carrying a 100 lbs of gear and capable of 80mph and the ability to cover 600 miles a day. This is possible in the US where roads are good and road hazards are minimal.

I am looking for a cheap, disposable, lightweight 250cc class bike, new or used doesn't matter. I will go over it bolt by bolt and prep it for travel. I have searched Craigslist, Cycle Trader, etc. and used Japanese 250's are rarely found for less than $2500.

I too have concerns about vibes and 10000 miles, but still wonder if much of that can't be mitigated by tuning and gearing.

Giant Loop's motto is "Fast and light". My motto is "Cheap and light".

In Botswana if you would have ridden up on one of these, I would have traded my BMW straight up!
Attached Images

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid