View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #9

What an awesome concept - I think my wife would divorce me for even thinking like that.

I don't have a lot of miles built up on mine, but I've done probably around 120-150 miles of "highway" or flat-out in 5th, with the last 10 or so after making a front sprocket change to 17T. I'm using the stock carb, and I weigh about 180lbs, so factor that in, but it struggles to push 60mph. Where I've been driving it, I'm not a traffic hazard, but if it was more populated where I had to drive it, I probably wouldn't - at least with my current setup.

With the stock 15T, it would top out 50-55, the 17T pushes that to 55-60. But it's complaining. Since it's not counter-balanced, pushing the red line, there's a good amount of vibration. Up to about 45mph in the lower gears, it doesn't really bother me, but topping it out in 5th above 50mph - it's annoying. I wouldn't say it "drones" along, more like "rattles" along. I really think you're starting to run up against the laws of physics and how much power you can squeeze out of it.

Now having said that, there are a couple of other folks on here that report running it upwards of 65mph or so. Hopefully you'll get a few more data points from them, but so far, I'm thinking that cruising at 60mph, full throttle in 5th will not be a relaxing way to drive 10k miles. A better carb/mix choice and/or gearing it even higher so that you cruise in the middle of 5th, then maybe.