View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Indeed, adjusting the valve lash gets easier, and faster, every time you do it. Nevertheless, I still budget about 2.5 leisurely hours for a valve adjustment on my RX3.
I actually budget a bit more time as I need to stretch and mentally prepare myself for the exhaust valves. That extra time consists of a bio-break, stretching, and an adult beverage.

Spud offers great advice: check the cam sprocket timing marks to ensure you're on the correct stroke. I fully admit that I was confused as well when I fired up my bike and it sounded like I left ball bearings in the combustion chamber. I did the valve job three times before I got it "right." Instead of checking the cam marks as Spud suggested, I actually rotated the crank until I visually saw that the valves had no motion and load on the rocker arm. Then I adjusted the valves. That cured my problem. But Spud's method will ensure you're on TDC.

And the silver lining... as Spud suggested, you WILL be faster each time you do this job. I can get in and out of the exhaust valves pretty efficiently now and save the adult beverage for the end of the adjustment.