View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #14

Wheel Removal

Thanks for the quick reply and advice Jay. Everything was straightforward just like in your link. Luckily my buddy is a highly skilled shade tree mechanic...me not so much but Im not afraid to get dirty and learn. He pulled everything apart just like the tutorial shows. I wasnt happy with the fit of that white plastic piece that protrudes out of the hub and accepts the speedometer housing. It seems sloppy in its fit. Im not totally convinced that its not moving around in there too. The bearing didnt turn very well at all at first. It sounded dry and crunchy (yes a technical term) but we didnt find any metal shavings and the balls all looked solid and in one piece. Thats why we decided to grease it and see how it would do. The grease helped it move better while in our hands but in the end did not solve the issue. The tightness of the axle bolt is concerning to me though. Too tight and the wheel doesnt spin nice and smooth. Too loose and Im worried it will fall off over time. I know locktite will cure my worries but we didnt have any handy. We used thread tape for now. I got some videos with my phone of the sound while we spun the wheel by hand. Sometimes its nonexistent and other times it lasts several seconds and happens in either direction of wheel spin. I will try to post the video but not sure how.