View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #12

Bike problem

Left my house this morning with my son to head to an ATM. Got 3km down the road (remember I picked the bike up Friday so I have a grand total of about 15km on it at this point) and heard a loud clanking noise from the front end. Sounded like something broke loose. At first I thought some bolts from the brake disc were rubbing on the caliper housing, maybe a loose spoke...I had no idea and it was impossible to roll the bike and look and listen for the sound. Immediately pulled over and the sound stopped. Rolled the bike into a parking lot and could only duplicate the sound intermittently. Rode slowly with 4 way flashers to a buddies house and we determined that it is most likely the front bearings. The axle nut was not tight. When we tightened it the wheel did not want to spin freely. We took every thing apart and found some plastic shavings under the speedometer housing at the hub. We greased the hell out of everything, including the terribly dry bearings and put everything back together. The sound is still there. It tends to get worse when the bike is moving and the wheel is turned to the left or right. It is not a constant sound but it sounds really bad and is really loud when it happens. Going to take it in for service as soon as I can on Monday.

Anyone had this issue?