View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #44

That's a good question. I was told at the local DMV in Pahoa, that, if I buy a Chinabike in the crate, after assembly and basically a PDI, I first must take the bike to a certified scale and take the scale receipt to a shop that does the annual inspections on motorcycles (and there are maybe three of these in Hilo), where they will do an initial inspection, verify VIN, and such. Then, take those receipts to the licensing office to get it licensed. Now, if the maker is not on the list, then it gets a bit tougher. Just have to get someone with the knowhow to get Hansim (or whoever) into the database. New vehicles, when purchased, don't have to go in for the annual inspection for two years after buying, so I assume this bike would be the same. The initial inspection, since I didn't buy the bike from a local dealer that does the setup, has to be done at a shop, to be sure the VIN matches, all lights, horn, etc works, and to be sure the tires are street legal and such. I forgot to ask whether the bike has to be insured pre-inspection, but I'm pretty sure it does. I'll have to truck the bike to the scales, unload it, weigh it, load it back up and take to the shop, where I will have to have made an appointment. We're going to the Kona side of the island for my 62nd birthday very soon, so I may wait to order till then, so it comes after we get back.