View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #35

Aw, crap. Looks like you are waiting a bit longer for a video. At least a week.

I got the fuel pump issue squared away, one of the check balls 'checked out' as it were and left the building. It just so happened that the fuel pump had been upgraded in the past with 1/8" steel balls instead of glass balls. I have about a zillion of those. So, replace the missing ball and reinstall the pump. Turn the flywheel over a couple times to prime the pump. Reattach the fuel line and flip the flywheel once. AAAAANNNDDD it starts and idles. And revs.

So, like an idiot, I decide to take it for a quick ride up and down the street. It runs great. For about two minutes. Starts to bog and backfire. Then quits. I wheel it into the garage and check to see what I did.

Spin the flywheel and no compression. Zip, nada, nothing. Crap. I did something bad. I stick the bore scope down the cylinder and see no hole in the top of the piston. Whew. So, I've either blown a head gasket or a shaft seal. Let's hope for a head gasket.

Pull the head and looky what I find.

Two, count 'em, two complete gasket sets are on their way here from San Fran. Along with a second air filter because it turns out neither bike had one.

So, next week some time for the video.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts