View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #75

What difference does it make which side the leverage arm is on? A center stand only gets used in uneven terrain when your bike is fully loaded, or when you are performing a rear wheel maintenance of some kind. You aren't going to deploy it every time you get off your bike, are you?

One thing that we found, is that with the kickstand down, on the left-hand side, it was sort of a safety catch so the bike wouldn't tip over while you were trying to get the bike balanced for your center stand deployment. A new rider, or a female could easily tip the bike beyond recovery when trying to get the bike perfectly upright.

And remember, the center stand solution I came up with was very specifically created to overcome a balance issue with the stock center stand. When deployed, the feet of the stock center stand pivot well beyond the bike's center of gravity. Mainly because the 250cc power plant isn't very heavy to begin with. Thus allowing a rearward bias, and difficult to use the center stand unless you are physically strong enough to lift the bike on your own anyway. This isn't a CSC issue, it's just an oversight at Zongshen at where and how to install a center stand mounting points.

In order to create the pivot in the correct place, the hinging action needs to be a certain point, taking into account where the feet will in up under the bike when fully deployed. Also, we don't want to lower the bike's clearance anymore than it actually is. Sooo... where the center stand ended up became a fight between the kickstand, the chain and the swing arm, all while trying to maintain at least a 12" wide footprint. A leverage arm on the left would have interfered with any one of those things.

Walking around to the other side every once in awhile is a small price to pay to have a strong stable footprint that is easier to operate than what already exists.

That being said, I'm open to further examining the design and function of my center stand. I'm not locked into any design. But as it stands, it seems as if there is zero interest in this and I've really just wasted my time, except for the 3 bikes this will end up on.