View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
enlighten me on how you actually adjust the valves guys.
What is confusing me is that even if gap is a bit loose can it still work ?
The tolerance is .0016-.0024 thousands converted from the .04-.06 metric (sorry I can't relate to .04-.06 metric ). When I did mine, I put a .003 thousands feeler in there , ran the adjuster down and tightened the nut. Then felt with the .002 feeler and it was loose. I left it there. Runs just like when new and no noticeable difference in noise, performance.
Hoping I was safe as the valve clearance gets tighter as valve wears into head more.
So if I were to put a .004 feeler in and adjust it to that thickness which would be twice the clearance, it would only push the valve down 1 thousands of an inch less. Bigger clearance = less valve movement. What am I missing here that they need to be so close?
So do you put the thicker feeler gage in between the valve and threaded adjuster. Then turn the threaded adjuster down till it just touches the feeler gage and then tighten the threaded adjuster lock nut and call it good ? Or do you try to "feel" how much pressure is on the feeler gage and by tightening and loosening get it to feel just right between the 2 feeler gages?
Seems to me as long as it's on the loose side it would be ok. but maybe I'm missing something here. rj
Distant memories of being at college the lecturer said that doing tappets, the resistance on the feeler gauge should feel like a knife going through butter.

I remember thinking at the time , well how sharp is the knife and how warm is the butter.

Having the gap a bit too slack is less about how much the valve will open and more about valve timing. The valve will open later and shut earlier.
Also there is a hammering effect that can increase strain and wear on the valve train components.

But these are minor details compared with having the lash too tight.

rj,

get yourself a set of metric feeler gauges, trust me it will be fine, the world of metric is sweet

How I did mine
------------------
Making sure the blade of the 0.06mm feeler gauge is fully under the rocker arm tip, adjust until you can feel a good constant resistance when you pull it out.

if it snags, sticks or leaves a grove in your gauge as you pull it out then its too tight.

Once done

Check the gap with the 0.04mm blade, it should slide in very easily, so you now know your not too tight.

Then check the gap with the 0.08mm blade, you shouldn't be able to get it in at all.

End result
------------
You now know for sure that the gap is larger than 0.04mm but smaller than 0.08mm but more likely to be spot on 0.06mm.

This I'm happy with.

*disclaimer*
My memory is known to be unreliable !

Last edited by katflap; 07-14-2015 at 08:03 AM.