View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 AM   #9

The RX-3 is my first motorcycle and I am loving it. Today I took a wrong turn somewhere on a forest service road and ended up on some gnarly double track hunters' ATV tracks and it performed wonderfully from my perspective. It takes some clutch management in first gear to make it up steep loose stuff but it can do it.

My other bike is a hard-tail 29er (mountain bicycle) so the suspension on the RX seems stellar. Tighten down EVERY bolt you can find that hasn't been torqued. I lost the 2 bolts on the left rear foot pegs on this run. Easy to replace but it would have been a bummer to lose the pannier if it had all come undone.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and have found it super fun to work on the bike - very Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I learn something every time I ride or look at it in the garage. With 1200 miles on it I honestly feel I've already got my $3500 out of it and I'm sure it's going to go another 50k+ with no problems.

I ride mainly on dirt county roads and commute on a 60mph freeway. It's been great for both, especially since I followed Spud's lead and put the Shinko 244 on the back with the Kenda K270 on front.

My friend rides the DRZ and we rode together yesterday. He leaves me in the dust if he wants but I'm not in it for raw speed. I'm in for a good commuter and trail toy. It fits the bill and I've got dollars to spend on accessories.