View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 03:40 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a '78 YB100 in the shed, and I'm planning a bizarre project for it in the future (it's on the back-burner for now).
Hi Weldangrind, would love to see your YB100 project when it's done - mine never ever let me down and aside from getting a bit blown around by large wagons and high winds etc it was a lot of fun to ride and I went everywhere on it. I'd have another one in a heartbeat as a second bike now I've gotten used to smaller cc bikes again - I'd have to get used to the upside down gears again though lol!

Quote:
The CG125 you had has virtually the same motor as your current Lifan.
Yeah I thought that was the prototype for it. It's pretty bomb proof by all accounts and my CG was really one of the best, most comfortable to ride bikes I ever had. They pretty much run on fumes and just keep going and going with only basic maintainence. Mine spoiled me really since later bikes (and 3-wheeler Reliant cars) were far more troublesome and were never out of the workshop. Aside from the running economy, another reason I wanted to return to a smaller capacity bike was due to the trouble-free maintainence I seemed to have with them. Sorry to Cheesy but my CX has to have been the worst bike I ever had for being unreliable (it had some sort of pesky intermittent starting issue, amongst other issues, and supply of spare parts just seemed to dwindle away which made it all that harder to put right) - I mean I would have really loved it if it had been less of a pain, because it was extremely comfortable to ride. I know others have found them to be extremely reliable bikes which can clock up high milages, but mine was just a duff one I think!

However, nothing, but nothing can be worse than the Reliant 3-wheeler cars I drove for many years (in the mistaken belief that motorcycles were not suitable for carrying dogs around - I could have got a pet carrier or a bike and sidecar, and really wish I had done now, since I likely would have been saved hours of grief and expenditure!) It is my conviction that the Reliant brand (now defunct) is somehow demonically possessed and some foul and unclean spirit inhabits these cars, ready to wreak workshop havoc on any who would dare to own them! I only had them because you can drive them on a pre-'97 motorbike license over here in the UK - a road legal quad might serve instead for carrying bigger loads and going through snow. I only have cats now but would love another dog, so some sort of pet carrier would still be desirable as well.)