View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

So first thing... time to take it apart!

When I bought it, it wouldn't start... but honestly, I didn't want it to start since I knew the carb would be gummed up and the gas stale... so I didn't care. I'm going through it with my fine-toothed comb anyways first.

So far I'm pretty pleased overall with the condition... as I peel back the layers. I've heard the early years China bikes were hit or miss... and I'm finding mine to be pretty solid. No scarey welds or missing bolts. I did find the wire to the starter solenoid melted on the exhaust pipe... thus no start... easy fix. Also found a connector off the magneto that had 2 of it's pins in the connector not seated and probably not connecting well... easy fix. I've been going through all the bolts and nuts... using locktite where needed and torquing everything down. So far, so good.

The plastics are in good condition but a tad thinner and more fragile than say the ones on my son's Yami TTR-90... as expected. I went through the carb... and as expected it was varnished a tad. Got it all cleaned up nice and should be good to go now... I opened up the pilot jet just a hair (using my #'ed drill bits).

Last up is inspecting the engine mounting bolts... a couple looked undersized to me. Then I want to check the steering head for proper bearing lube and torque setting... then it's reassembly time. Hope to have it running in the next few days!

Cheers!