View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #33

I watched, but didn't listen to the audio, of Gr8rcher's video, so I'm not sure if he covered this. If you have that same engine, there shouldn't be any shims that get replaced.

Those are screw-and-locknut style valve clearance adjusters. They are adjusted by first placing the piston at top dead center on the compression stroke (ie, both valves fully closed just as the spark plug fires). At that point, you use a feeler gauge to check the clearance between the bottom of the screw adjuster and the top of the valve stem.

That clearance is usually on the order of 0.003" or 0.004" for the intake valve and 0.006" or 0.007" for the exhaust valve. I'm not 100% certain on the specs for our motors, but that's a good guide.

To adjust the clearance, you loosen the locknut and loosen or tighten the screw adjuster to the desired clearance. While holding the screw adjuster, tighten the locknut and re-check the clearance (to be sure the clearance didn't change a bit when you tightened the locknut).

Done.

Pretty straightforward, and the only specialty tools required is a set of feeler gauges, available at most auto parts stores or tool stores.

Good luck with it.

Kirk