View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #1269
Banned

searching for mitts link:) and found this..

The fuel cooling issue is legit. The Yamaha Wr 250's have had quite a few owners having issues with fuel pump failures. They SUPPOSEDLY designed a new and improved more durable in tank pump, but there have been failures of these as well, apparently.

The larger 4 gallon capacity allows Zongshen to keep the pump cool(er) by not gauging the fuel as would be "normal" if it was accurate to actual quantity left in our tanks.
I wonder if there is a practical way to design a small "day tank" that would fit below the regular tank where it would have cooled (by air) fuel bathing it all the time.
Maybe when at CSC I can look at and purchase a spare pump to see what can be designed with this in mind, and offer it to those of us having any issues with our pumps. If Yamaha owners have much better luck with the upgraded pump, we may want to try adapting it to or bikes IF we have premature failures frequently.
The guts of the pumps are plastic or some type polymer, and so fail if they overheat, most likely.

I would really like to be able to use ALL 4 gallons without worrying about pump failure, though, when riding long distances, especially in remote areas (or hostile environments like deserts etc.)