View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
The nuts holding the exhaust manifold came loose and I tightened them,

This happened on my bike as well. I tightened them up to what I thought was reasonably snug. But the next time out one of the studs broke off, I assume because it was too tight. So after I got the piece of broken bolt out of the engine block, I tightened them more loosely figuring I would rather have them back out than snap off. You might want to keep this in mind if you tightened them up like I did.
I've been thinking and asking around about that post for a while Joe. From what I've heard, read; Those studs are problematic, and mine already looked wonky from the start. I didn't tighten it down much on purpose. That's why they loosened. I was lucky I didn't loose the stud/nuts. I don't have a torque wrench, nor the proper torque specs. But I didn't wrench then more than about 6LBS. But I did it 1lb, then 1lb on the other nut, slowly making the snugness even across both sides. Since then no more breathing from the seal. Ambassador told me to get lock washers on there quick. I got the washers on the next day before riding. Lucky again cause I snugged it down again and I've been fine since.

If I did mess up that seal, (from what I was told it should be garbage by now) I would have tried using some silicone heat seal and started looking for a new seal. Take a tip from Ambassodor and get some lock washers on those studs. 8) I haven't had problems since.