View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #5

Thanks guys, nice to meet you all! Weld, we're not far from each other... I'm in Delta, work in North Surrey.

I got the green camo 110 out for its first run last weekend up in Hope. The tread on the tires was completely fresh, so I doubt its was ever driven more than 20 ft prior, even though it was originally made in 08'. I didn't go easy on it, but not too hard either (after finding out how many loose fasteners there were! )

On 1st look the splined wheel hub nuts and disc brake nuts were loose on the rear shaft. I expect to be replacing a lot of the nuts with ny-locks and / or flooding the joints with loctite... Most of the weekend was spent changing oil, going through the necessary stuff to feel safe at 20 or 30 kph... I see common questions about looking for manuals, but I'm guessing a torque spec for each fastener is even more of a long shot...

After bolts, the only major issue was getting it to idle - as in in just WON'T idle! To drive it, the throttle needed to be kept 10-20% open or so. I suspect the low end / idle circuit is plugged. The prev owner had a filter in line and said he drained the carb, but 6 years is a long time to gather sediment, oxidation, etc... For now I screwed the idle speed screw all the way in to see if I could push it up into the next circuit, but still no joy. If I had the throttle open just enough to sustain the engine, the idle mixture screw had zero effect on the RPM or sound. I'm assuming there was no fuel flow at the bottom end at all.

For now I have a backup brand-new carb on the way, along with a rebuild kit for this one. Looking fwd to getting it to behave a bit better in the low end, so I can restrict it down and let my 11 yr old give it a try.

The blue one is a different story - and a far a bigger project. i just replaced the carb on it as well. Still needs tuning, but the major hurdles are wiring and finding / making bushings for all the suspension joints. One issue I don't know how to tackle is a strange howling noise I get at higher throttle settings in 3rd gear. It only goes away after backing off to a near stop.

Thx for the helps so far everyone!
Kelly