View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_D View Post
Steel rims. Might sound like a noob question is there a benifit for one vs the other ?
Aluminum rims are lighter and less prone to warpage. There was a steel rim on the front of the Lifan that I bought, and it was bent. I laced an aluminum DID rim from an '83 Honda XR200 onto it, and then Son of Weldangrind hit a nasty bump and broke six spokes. That wheel was ridiculously out of whack after that, and we all thought the rim was taco'd. I removed all of the spokes to repair it this year, and was pleasantly surprised to find the rim unharmed! With some new spokes, I was good to go.

A steel rim would have been bent and subsequently tossed in the scrap pile. If your rims are still round, ride them as they are. If they ever bend, you'll find a good value in Warp 9 rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_D View Post
MIGHT look into adding lights and seeing if I can get it road worthy down the road. Seller included a California title with it (originally came from the states) not sure if it'll help but I have it.
If it was imported as a Restricted Use Motorcycle (RUM), you won't likely be able to add lights and make it street legal. We used to be able to dual sport dirt bikes in BC, but the laws have changed.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer