View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
I guess I used Zongshen name as being quality built. I know that there is some questionable stuff coming from the Chinese mainland. I have been lucky with the 2 scoots I owned (4s Bashan engines) and now I feel pretty good about this motorcycle. I suppose there is a YouTube video tutorial on valve adjustment. If it's anything like a 50cc 4stroke... should be cake.. This will be my first multigear/clutch bike ever. I have ridden them yeeeeaars ago and owned plenty 5 speed manual trans cars.. Needless to say, I do plan on using this bike into the cooler months..maybe into light snow with a knobbie tire swap.. I will use my bike for transportation and semi loaded adventure on/offroad trips. From everything I have read and seen regarding the TMEC, I'm pretty excited.
Are these engines cdi ignition? Limited rev ? I guess I am expecting this bike to be running leeeeannn. If this bike is legal for Cali.. the carb. float bowl screws are probably ground smooth. How are the stock carbs on these bikes? Serviceable?
You're right; valve adjustments are cake. You can even fashion a valve adjustment tool with a square head wood screw (that every good Canadian calls a Robertson) twisted into a marrette connector. The only time there is an issue is if you're working on a pushrod motor and the bike frame doesn't allow removal of the valve cover. If that's the case, most guys just trim a few fins off the top.

Yes to CDI and rev limiter. No appreciable difference has been reported with no-rev CDI's, but nobody has performed any empirical testing that I'm aware of. I choose to not wring out my little four stroke that far anyway.

Stock carbs are certainly serviceable, but jet selection will depend upon carb style. They usually come in one of two flavours; Keihin or Mikuni. I've found the Keihin carbs to be varied in design, to the point where I was unable to source jets. The so-called 30mm Mikuni carbs have been dead consistent in design and casting quality, and I've installed and jetted several. They can be had for less than $40 delivered, and jets are cheap and easily found.

I'm also betting on a lean carb from the factory, replete with a smog device. It resembles an AIR device, and there is usually a cat in the header pipe. I make those things go away.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer