View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #26

I have about 700 miles on it. I think full break in is considered 1,000 miles so I am close. Some owners report the bike continues to smoothen up for the first 2,500 miles so I think there is a variable here.

To be honest it operated smoothly new as well as now, I don't feel a difference.

It shifts well. Better than my Gold Wing, about as well as my KLX, but not as good as my YZ which has the best shifting transmission I can recall of any bike I have had.

The shifter on the RE travels through a wider than usual arc, and if you move it fully there are no false neutrals or any clunkiness at all. It has wide ratios which suit its 31 ft/lbs well. The clutch is very light. It shifts very well.

As far as acceleration goes, it does OK.

It has 31 ft/lbs of torque (plenty) but only 27 hp (pretty modest). So accereration is great off the bottom, but it runs out of steam pretty quick. At that point in the rev band it's getting buzzy so it's time to shift again.

So, the way to operate it is to smoothly shift it 'short' and ride the torque. I'd estimate the shift point at 3,000-4,000 RPM or so but with no tach who knows.

I love this bike. Trading Little Sweetie for it was a good move for me.

Sweetie, BTW, is doing fine. She and her new owners are enjoying her all around the Portland/Vancouver area.