View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #49

Well, i reached the final stage of getting new footpegs, i hope. I got the bike back yesterday evening and the guy from the metal shop did really great. He used the stock frame plates with the footpegs welded to them, and he made 3mm stainless steel plates lying behind them, they are welded to the stock plates. On the first look i thought "Did he do anything?", on the second look i thought "Wow...". It took him almost the whole day, including one heli-coil-thread on the left side. Now rather the frame will bend than the footpegs . 150€, not cheap, but well spent for good work, i think.
Photos would not show any difference.

I need the bike running today, so the guy gave me good advice to get the plates painted fast: I should heat up the plates with hot air (google didn't find the right term for this thing. You know, like a blow dryer, but much hotter) and heat up the cans of primer and paint in the same way. It worked out well, one hour from naked steel wired to the clothes line to painted footpegs on the bike.

As i mounted the folding footpegs back to the plates, i tried and excluced the springs that put them back down. The footpegs now fold up to vertical and stay this way, so the kicker does not interfere anymore. Putted it back on. One kilo added again...