Thread: Camo Chinabike
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
There's a China bike called the FJ 750 that is a copy of the Ural. I'm hoping they start coming in, but I've heard that the Chinese military put the lockdown on exporting them. I have no idea why, they're 1938 technology!

Mrhyak... I'll trade you my Lifan for your (really, really nice) Ural! I have a certain lust for those (and all) military bikes. A local guy has a military Indian, the guy who rides with him has a mil Harley... it just kills me that I don't own either one!
The Chinese bikes known as Chang Jiang are not Ural copies, but was the Ural M750 sold to the Chinese when the Russians re-designed the bike and went with overhead cam and different frame design then sold/gave their old design to China in the mid 1950s. The Chang Jiang is a nice looking bike, but unless it is re-done from the groung up it is very crude and unreliable. There are some folks that have rebuilt them and sell them in the USA, usually as BMW copies and some that I have seen in person look very sharp. Even though their technology goes back to the Ural and they look siimilar to a Ural, they are very different. The CJ 750 engine only puts out around 29hp compared to the Ural 650 putting out around 37 and the Ural 750 around 40hp. The CJ stopped production many years ago so the only bikes being assembled these days are from surplus parts. The Ural is still in production, and is imported to the USA only a few miles from where I live and have dealers all around the USA. You can get a nice used Ural for $3,500-$4,500 or the new ones sell for $8k-$10k.

FWIW...
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)