View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG1911 View Post
Humanbeing & weldangrind, do you guys think this is the original engine for this bike? or perhaps someone replaced/upgraded to a trike motor? Or is this one of those "impossible to say" scenarios. Just curious
I believe that to be the original engine, and it is definitely Honda "inspired".

The ignition you bought is the type normally found on a quad, but it'll work for your purposes until you find what you need. I have a new ignition switch with steering lock that might work for you, but that will depend upon the bolt spacing on your upper triple. Measure the c to c distance of the ignition mounting screws on the underside of the triple and LMK. The ignition switch I have might not have the same connector as yours, but that's no big deal.

The ignition switch works in the reverse of what seems logical. When you turn the switch on, you're actually switching the ground off (in addition to connecting the positive wire to everything). During testing, make sure the ground is removed, but be prepared to pull the plug cap to kill the engine, in case it starts. When the ignition switch is turned off, one wire to the CDI is connected to ground (not sure of the colour, off the top of my head). Some testing with your multimeter will confirm the layout of the ignition switch you bought, and you'll be able to transfer that knowledge to your wiring harness. BTW, ground is almost always green, red is positive.

If that needs more clarification, LMK.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer