View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #31

I composed a post yesterday that detailed some work I did on Pastor Jim's scooter on the weekend, and then the forum froze on me. Let's try again...

Pastor Jim bought a genuine Honda Givi trunk from my buddy (the buddy with the Honda Silverwing), and he needed it to be installed. He also wanted a more free-flowing muffler, and some extra LED rear signals, because his stock rear signals are very difficult to see in the sunlight.

I removed his original rear rack from the aluminum tail section, and marked it for drilling. The two forward holes were no problem, but I had to bridge the rear holes with a piece of aluminum channel.

I used some stainless hardware to install the two-piece mounting rack. It has rubber bushings and tube spacers that allow a bit of "give", rather than it being totally rigid. Much like the JCW trunk, this trunk will detach from the rack with just a key.

The muffler was a CL score, and was originally from a ZX-6, IIRC. My buddy relocated the bracket with his TIG welder, and I wrapped the muffler with a stainless T-bolt clamp to support the rear. I bent a bracket to suit the clamp.

Pastor Jim will likely paint the muffler in time. I failed to take a pic of the signals, but they are typical China LED signals, and I mounted them on simple brackets under the trunk. He's quite pleased.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer