View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #8

The guy that built the M715 that katoranger linked to this thread, is suggesting that I go straight for the 5.9L Cummins engine conversion. He recommends looking for a used truck to strip. I'm not convinced! This isn't going to be an everyday truck. Not sure that I want to spend that much money on it. He built a 406cid Chevy and said that it sucked fuel. No joke! I'm just planning a mild small block. He also had a 6.2 GM Diesel engine, a 4BT and then finally the 5.9 diesel. The small block would be much more cost effective. The propane conversion is inexpensive and will only be used off-road and to extend the trucks range on the highway.

Again, this will be used like an RV not an everyday work truck. I will not drive it to work unless we have an emergency situation, where I may have to stay all weekend. Once or twice a month it may haul some toys to our mountain camp. I may use it to haul some scrap locally. Within 15 to 20 miles. If I buy a car, it may be used to haul it home. It might be used to haul firewood. This is my planned usage for the truck.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II