View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #3

Each exhaust valve gets its own port and header pipe. They merge into one later down the line.

One carb, splits into two runners, then the larger of the two splits again to feed the 3 intake valves.

The bottom side of the rocker cover. The rockers are shaft mounted to the cover. One of the intake rockers actually opens two of the valves and it is controlled by one really wide cam lobe. So, 4 lobes total to open 5 valves. Interesting.

MLS headgaskets getting the copper treatment

Reassembled, fresh oil, cleaned the entire cooling system and whaddya know. Same exact problem. Open her back up and what do we see:

So she ended up getting a new cylinder head.
To ensure I can keep close tabs on the coolant temp I ordered a Summit gauge, and used a Glowshift universal pod.

The original sending unit fed a dummy light. So I exchanged it with the sending unit for the Summit gauge. It's located in the thermostat housing. Ironically they do not fit these engines with thermostats. This engine likes to run 170-180 from what I've seen.

I've put a few miles on it since being back together the last couple of weeks and I can say without a doubt, this is the nicest and fastest chinaman 4 wheeler I've ridden. With the CVT trans, it's like having a big ass torque converter. From a dead stop, it stalls up quickly to 4200 rpms, and that seems to be the "variable" section where the gearing expands, you accelerate quickly and the top end really comes alive. It tops out around 55mph and probably 6500rpms.
07 CRF50 - Stock