View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #2

The front diff

Pulled the valve cover. The contraption bolted on the front of the cam sprocket is the compression release. How it works is simple: The weights on the front pivot and are held in place with spring tension. They are connected to a shaft that runs inside the hollow cam. When they are in a "resting" position, the shaft activates a knob on the backside of the exhaust lobe. When this knob is raised, it blips the exhaust valve open during the compression stroke relieving some of the cylinder pressure. At the point the rpms raise above cranking, the spring force is overcome allowing the weights to pivot which pulls the knob back flush with the exhaust lobe's smooth side thereby preventing the compression to be released.

You can see the holes in the cam for oiling here. The pressurized oil is carried to the cam journals by a hard line that is on the exterior of the engine. The brass lines at the top are EGR. It has a frame mounted pump.

With the camshaft removed, you can see the freeze plugs. Typically these would exit the engine but these exit into what is essentially the crankcase. These were replaced with new ones in-case these leaked.

I pulled the cylinder head, the black thing sticking out is the adjustable timing chain tensioner. In this pic you can also see the oil filter, starter, and front driveshaft.

I pulled the cylinder and it got a new base gasket. I wanted to fully inspect it for cracks/issues.

5 valve cylinder head. 3 intake, 2 exhaust. It has an MLS head gasket.
07 CRF50 - Stock