View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'm now thinking of getting a TTO for my oil or my coolant on the YZ. Although I've never heard of anyone doing this on the TT forums...

Looks like cheap insurance that's for sure.

I WISH I had a cooler and gauge on my little 250 back in San Francisco. :roll:
I wish Honda hadn't removed the oil cooler from your XR250. :roll: My XR650L has several known problems; I have tried to resolve all of them. Here are the known issues with the XR650L.

Extended, high-rpm riding overheats the engine, and the bike drops valve seats.
Lack of cush drive on rear wheel destroys countershaft.
Subframe cracks with heavy loads.
AC CDI unit overheats and fails.
Shift lever can puncture stator cover after falls to the left.

To prevent engine overheating, I installed my oil cooler. I saw a 31 degree drop in oil temperature yesterday merely by cutting a hole in the front fender. This temperature reduction was noted after the oil cooler was installed with a drilled fender! Therefore, the temperature drop from stock configuration must be even higher. 8O

To protect my countershaft, I installed an XR650R C/S sprocket, which has 60 percent more contact area with the countershaft.

I reinforced my subframe with triangulated struts, and removed the battery box which weighs over 10 pounds.

I learned to repair my CDI unit. I then relocated the CDI unit to the airbox, where it is subjected to much less vibration, and is cooled by the air flowing into the carburetor.

I reinforced the stator cover with an aluminum plate.

Honda knows about all these issues, but they haven't improved the bike since it was introduced in 1993. :roll: However, Honda did remove 3 grease zerks from the progressive shock linkage, and also removed the oil drain plugs from the forks! 8O

Spud :roll:

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894