View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #4

WEll, the 7.3 I have came into play in 1988. Previous to that it was a 6.9 and it came into the picture in 1983. The 6.9 and the 7.3 are virtually the same engine, just the bore on a 6.9 is 4" even and the bore on a 7.3 is 4.11". Both have the same 4.1" stroke and share EVERY other part besides the pistons and head bolts.

These engine went off the market in 1994.5 when international decided to release the electronic, direct injected powerstroke which had 3 generations from 1994.5 through to 2003 when it was dropped in favor of the poison 6.0 powerstroke....that engine was pure junk.

But back to my IDI engine. Its 100% mechanical. I can jump start it with litterally just a 14 gauge wire off a battery and it will run no problem.....try THAT with a powerstroke! LOL

I am guessing that my torque will be around the 700 - 750 ft. lbs mark. Factory my engine would have only made 190 horses and 370 ft. lbs. of torque.

I have an ATS 093 wastegated turbo setup currently. I can run it to about 25 PSI but anymore than tha t and it will start to choke itself out for power.

She is having a set of pistons made specially with the wrist pin 30 thousandths higher on the piston to lower the compression. As it is indirect injection, there is a pre-combustion chamber in the head. I am porting them puppies WIDE open and doing a little port work on the heads intane and exhaust runners. She is getting an aggressive cam, ARP head studs to hold the heads on and an intercooler out of a freightliner M2-106. Along with a hot "Moose" pump and a brand new set of pressure matched BB injectors.....stage 1 sticks from DPS.

I got the truck I am driving now which has a PILE of work done to it. It's not performance work, but ruggedness work. She has had a 5 speed ZF s5-47 transmission swap to replace the E4OD automatic, dana 60 front axle swap and both driveshafts built from scratch to make up for the difference in length between teh tranny and axle swaps.

When the time comes, I am parking both trucks side by side and goin to town. The blue F250 I got is coming apart and all the parts I need are going on the red F350.

F350 pics

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=ea3edc27d8

F250 pics

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=b835ede37d

The F250 ati't much to look at, but it regularly hands me 22 - 25 MPG's and while in 4 wheel drive, there ain't much that can stand in her way!