View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #15

We have a 150 GY6 Gio Monster with the same problem. It boils down to a basic geometrical flaw, known as bumpsteer. It stems from the control arm length vs. the tie rod length; if they are too dissimilar, they will rotate through different arcs. Since they plot different arcs, the tie rod will push or pull on the spindle, causing the wheel to steer as it cycles up and down. When you hit a harsh bump, the wheel will steer you in a different direction, despite holding the bars still.

To examine the problem, remove one front shock and put the front of the quad up on a jackstand. Manually raise and lower the wheel, and you'll see how the wheel changes direction. The only fix is a different length or tie rod that is closer to the length of the control arm. I've considered re-engineering ours to match our 200 Gio Beast (which has no bumpsteer), but my wife and daughter find it to be ok for them, since they both drive at very low speeds. It's like driving Miss Daisy when I ride with them.

BTW, improperly engineered cars behave the very same way.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer