View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #37

Rage,
Woody's Wheel Works is taking my stock 17" Excel rims, spokes, nipples and the stock IRC Winner tires in on trade for the new wheels and tires. It looks like I'm going to get a pretty fair chunk taken off my total. Josh at Woody's said I'd get something like a $300 credit IIRC.

W&G,
The 351cc engine kit from B&B is just a bore increase. My plan is to do it over one weekend, so as to not have any real downtime on it. The cams and headwork will wait until next Winter, if I decide they are necessary. The big bore kit will be used in conjuction with a new FMF exhaust and probably a new Mikuni TM-36 flatside carburetor. Overall, I think this is the way I want to go for my build.

From what I'm reading the 351 kit doesn't effect the reliability of the bike. I hope that's the case! It may seem that I am going full tilt but what I really want is just a reliable but more powerful trailbike. It needs to compete in both price and power with a new DRZ. Hopefully, it will come in lighter and cheaper than that alternative. My next big obstacle is to overcome the fuel capacity or lack of, I should say. Of course, I will also be looking to drop a bunch of weight. I'm considering dropping the stock gauge pod, turnsignals, inner fender and a few other things. My grinder may also get a workout. :wink:

suprf1y,
Honestly, I think the 351 kit is overpriced. It's $721.52 plus shipping which seems pretty pricey to me. All that's there is a piston, a sleeve, some machine work and the new installation parts (wristpin, circlips, and gaskets). Those parts are fairly inexpensive, less than $75. The new piston should cost around $80 to $100. What we come away with is about $550 worth of machine work and sleeve. Sure he's got intellectual property there, as he pioneered this conversion but that's rather expensive machinework. I'll gladly pay his prices, as I'd like to have these parts for my motorcycle but I have looked at less expensive alternatives. I hope it brings everything to the table that it promises. I'd like to see 30 ponies!

SamM

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II