View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #27

2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF 'Supermoto'

Wow, I'm really flip-flopping about whether or not to mod this thing out or not. I went out to the garage yesterday and sat on it, since the weather is crappy again. This is one cool little bike. I called Light Speed and they no longer make all the carbonfiber parts for the KLX. All they have is the frame protects and the skidplate. I'm not sure about a cf skidplate. The Happy-Trail skidplate will protect the engine much better and for $87 is a bargain.

It looks like I may just go with the FMF MegaBomb header and the Q4 muffler to start with. I'll rejet with the DynoJet kit and swap out the stock snorkel for one from a KDX. If there is a noticeable difference, I'll go to the next step and do this in progressive stages. That would be a carb swap to a Mikuni 36mm flatside. Headwork from M-Tech and a set of Web Cams would be the next step. If all this works to bring the bike up to a higher level of performance, that I am satisfied with I would stop there. If not, then a stock KLX300 cylinder and and an aftermarket Wiseco 300cc piston could be the next mod. If that wasn't enough I would spring for the 351cc kit from B&B.

As soon as the weather breaks and I can get some miles on it, I'll report my mileage and impression of the KLX.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II