View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I think I will need upgrade tires though. I wonder if I could swap a disc brake setup from a china 150 with a 12" wheel and low profile tires.
*generalization alert*

For the most part, Chinese scooters come in 2 sizes, large frame, and small frame. The small frame scooters, like the small frame Japanese, are roughly 5' long, or less. The large frame are over 6' long.
The small frame are set up for 50cc motors, while the large frame are set up for: 50cc motors, 150cc motors, and 250cc motors.
Engine cases come in two sizes: long and short.
The Chinese use a combination of the 2 frame sizes, and case lengths, to make different wheelbase scooters.

For the most part front ends (complete) are interchangeable. There is a small variation in steering head length, and diameter of the stem where the handle bars mount. An angle grinder will remedy the first (remove the bearing cups first!) and a welder will remedy the second (welding your bars, with attached brackets, to the original stem adapter).

Rear wheels (50cc/150cc) have different offsets. (you can use a 50cc wheel on a 150cc motor with a spacer, but not a 150cc wheel on a 50cc motor).

Short case motors are restricted to a 10" wheel (3:50X10 tire 16.5"). A 12 " wheel (120/70/12 tire 18.6") will just go with some engine case grinding (I've seen it, but would not do it myself).

Your liquid cooled Honda engine complete will fit in any Chinese scooter, the large frame being a better choice, using the Honda engine mount. Because it is a vertical engine you will lose the under seat storage.