ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Ooey, gooey, gluey RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19649)

2LZ 08-03-2017 08:43 PM

Ooey, gooey, gluey RX3

Ok, I peeled the blue "speed", etc.. stickers off the white RX3. I just couldn't deal with the blue anymore.

Regardless of heat gun, ice packs, different peeling techniques, the glue REFUSED to stay on the sticker and stuck completely to the bike. I didn't think much of it until I went to try to remove the dreaded mess.

I used to work in auto body many years ago. I've peeled many-a-sticker, label and graphic. Never a real problem. A little glue gets left behind, either dabbing the wadded up sticker on it or a little wd40 and it was all good! This stuff!? It must be nuclear glue from a bizarre glue factory somewhere outside Chernobyl.

I've soaked it in Goo Gone, WD40, brake kleen, even gas additive....to no avail....and I mean SOAKED it. Let stand for 10 minutes at a time, running wet. I've even tried polishing compound. The biggest panic is there's a LOT of it.

Any favorite concoctions for removing this wicked crap? Peanut butter? Mayo? Anything? Did anyone else experience this?

rd1959 08-03-2017 10:14 PM

If you're married or have a girlfriend this won't be popular with them but, I used to use fingernail polish remover. Seeing's how you're having no luck with stronger stuff it probably won't work either. Oh, how about bug and tar remover?

tinman tim 08-03-2017 10:24 PM

PVC pipe cleaner, perhaps?

Merlin 08-04-2017 12:11 AM

Been there done that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 262941)
Ok, I peeled the blue "speed", etc.. stickers off the white RX3. I just couldn't deal with the blue anymore.

Regardless of heat gun, ice packs, different peeling techniques, the glue REFUSED to stay on the sticker and stuck completely to the bike. I didn't think much of it until I went to try to remove the dreaded mess.

I used to work in auto body many years ago. I've peeled many-a-sticker, label and graphic. Never a real problem. A little glue gets left behind, either dabbing the wadded up sticker on it or a little wd40 and it was all good! This stuff!? It must be nuclear glue from a bizarre glue factory somewhere outside Chernobyl.

I've soaked it in Goo Gone, WD40, brake kleen, even gas additive....to no avail....and I mean SOAKED it. Let stand for 10 minutes at a time, running wet. I've even tried polishing compound. The biggest panic is there's a LOT of it.

Any favorite concoctions for removing this wicked crap? Peanut butter? Mayo? Anything? Did anyone else experience this?

I had the very same problem. Use acetone. Just check on a part that cant be seen first.

1cylinderwonder 08-04-2017 12:46 AM

Fingernail polish remover is acetone, which usually removes the paint or dulls the plastic finish. As Merlin said, check on a spot that won't be seen.

pete 08-04-2017 04:59 AM

paint thinners or CRC electoclean...

goat67 08-04-2017 09:04 AM

Believe it or not Lighter Fluid you may be surprised.

2LZ 08-04-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat67 (Post 262989)

Thanks for all the suggestions, gang. I was just the shy side of using gas.
I'll heist Mrs. 2LZ nail polish remover this evening and see how it goes. It's a mess.

goat67, Zippo fluid or BBQ lighter fluid?

The other thing is, when I bought the bikes used, the seller gave me a full set of brand new white body parts that I now have stored away...but they're also full of blue stickers. I don't want to create double the mess. The upside is if I wreck a piece with some wacky chemical, I can at least replace it.

Sullybiker 08-04-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat67 (Post 262989)

Well the stickers are definitely gone
http://i.imgur.com/VutPqdD.jpg

Biker_Andy 08-04-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullybiker (Post 262997)
Well the stickers are definitely gone
http://i.imgur.com/VutPqdD.jpg

Is that the new Zongshen 450cc? Lol

goat67 08-05-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 262996)
Thanks for all the suggestions, gang. I was just the shy side of using gas.
I'll heist Mrs. 2LZ nail polish remover this evening and see how it goes. It's a mess.

goat67, Zippo fluid or BBQ lighter fluid?

The other thing is, when I bought the bikes used, the seller gave me a full set of brand new white body parts that I now have stored away...but they're also full of blue stickers. I don't want to create double the mess. The upside is if I wreck a piece with some wacky chemical, I can at least replace it.

Zippo. It Is ronsonol brand works and does not damage the paint

MICRider 08-05-2017 09:24 AM

Curious to know what kind of adhesive they used that is that virulent? Lol, would be handy to have some for the things you want to stay stuck!

ben2go 08-05-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 262941)

You worked in a body shop and don't know about adhesive removers? It's been 22 years since I worked in a body shop and all we ever used was 3m adhesive remover. It's never failed to remove any adhesives, even those awful graphics they used to put on dirt bikes in the 80's.

It can usually be bought cheaper locally.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Pu...7c4b8aec1dcba4

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1280_.jpg

2LZ 08-07-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben2go (Post 263070)
You worked in a body shop and don't know about adhesive removers? It's been 22 years since I worked in a body shop and all we ever used was 3m adhesive remover. It's never failed to remove any adhesives, even those awful graphics they used to put on dirt bikes in the 80's.

Well, it's only been about 38 years. ;-)
That's probably the ONLY thing I didn't try.

Bottom line was, the best remover was a long fought battle with WD40 and a blade.....but that was only on the rear panels where it said "RX3". The tank wings were a completely different story.

I ended up getting some Goof Off at Lowes (about the only thing I didn't have besides 3M remover). It's the super stuff made for "Gorilla Glue, Super Glue, etc...". I thought for sure it would work....and it did!!! The only problem was that the very second it broke through the glue, it took the paint with it down to the plastic. :-(

So, the wings got stripped, wet sanded and primed 3 times, then wet sanded again and 3 coats of gloss white. What a nightmare just for some glue.

If you ever peel your stickers and get left this mess, good luck. Next time you hear someone tell you your bike is "cheap Chinese junk"....you can rest assured that the Chinese make the best glue on planet Earth.

willy dog 08-07-2017 11:03 AM

i peeled my stickers off when it was around 20 below left no glue but did take some of the paint off i knew better just that speed sticker was bothering me just bought spray can of label and sticker remover by turtle wax for my truck don't know what's in it but it's the best stuff i ever used