ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk break in (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18389)

Rail32 03-02-2017 07:43 PM

Hawk break in

Wanna rejet carb ASAP. But know its senseless unless it's broke in. So I have 100 miles mostly 25 mph Max . So figuring 4-5 hours total. Maybe completely warmed up to operating temps ,,,12 times . I am thinking I am good to go . What do the rest of ya think ?
Maybe not senseless as much as a waste of time , after a bit more thought. :shrug:

BlackBike 03-02-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail32 (Post 245152)
Wanna rejet carb ASAP. But know its senseless unless it's broke in. So I have 100 miles mostly 25 mph Max . So figuring 4-5 hours total. Maybe completely warmed up to operating temps ,,,12 times . I am thinking I am good to go . What do the rest of ya think ?
Maybe not senseless as much as a waste of time , after a bit more thought. :shrug:

If you are asking me how I broke in my counterbalanced Lifan engine, I would tell you that I put 500 miles on mine before I started pushing up the rpms . I'm a conservative kinda guy.

timcosby 03-02-2017 10:56 PM

they say its best to break one in with it jetted rich and the hawks come jetted extremely lean.

Rail32 03-03-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcosby (Post 245180)
they say its best to break one in with it jetted rich and the hawks come jetted extremely lean.

"They " :lmao:
They always seem to get me into trouble , same as them .
Anyways here is what I know . Fuel is a detergent , cleaner , or simply will break down oil . So my thinking is rich fuel carb washes away oil easier from piston and cylinder . I have read this rich theroy many years ago when I was building engines when when I was a kid . Never really bought into it . I do agree to never wind out a new motor anything more than a brief moment . I also agree with never holding that one rpm steady ( aka cruising down a flat road for a long time) . I very well feel the carb Is super lean and it needs to be tuned ASAP. I have time off work today , I may just do it , and again if needed . Waiting for pipe anyways , but I can mod air intake prior anyways . It's a simple easy carb for removing and tuning . Thanks for all replies .
Rail ( not one of "them" :yay:)

JerryHawk250 03-03-2017 08:00 AM

I wouldn't hold back on re-jetting. Just take it easy for the 1st 500 miles. You can feel when these engine start to loosen up, smooth out and come to life.

Sport Rider 03-03-2017 08:15 AM

yeah, I jetted mine early on as well. it doesn't seem to have hurt it any. I also ran up the RPMs occasionally, but did not hold it for long. Generally, I didn't go over 40 for any long period of time.

wilserchinarider 03-03-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail32 (Post 245152)

If you want to rejet, go ahead and rejet. I think this idea of waiting for the motor to break in was with regard to tuning. My hawk ran so crappy out of the box it really needed rejetting almost immediately.

It's a CG engine, don't overanalyze it, don't abuse it. I think your'e 25 mph max is overly friendly.

JMM 03-03-2017 12:01 PM

What's the stock size jet?

OUTERLIMITS 03-03-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcosby (Post 245180)

Agree, I can't think of a single benefit to running an engine lean, unless you are after fuel economy. Even then, at what price to the health of the engine?

Azhule 03-03-2017 01:14 PM

How's that saying go?

"Leaner is meaner"... (until you fry your engine)

Just to poke the bear :

Jake the Garden Snake does my kind of 'engine break in procedure' :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr60QK0Hsvs

timcosby 03-03-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMM (Post 245227)
What's the stock size jet?

98 main jet

Rail32 03-03-2017 04:35 PM

I went a bit crazy. Not only did I slap in a 115 jet right away and adjust air mix screw. I threw On a Uni filter , modded or gutted air box , whacked off spark arrestor, and now just waiting for pipe to get here . Wow did this all really wake up my little China girl . Oh installed NGK plug while I was at it . I am a bit too rich right now , but woth pipe it should be almost perfect . Besides test ride at 27 degrees and 3 " snow on ground made for a intersting ride . The snow was flying pretty good to see where I need a bit more protection around Uni filter . Will do that tomorrow . Now if only the pipe would get here >:(

JMM 03-04-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail32 (Post 245256)
I went a bit crazy. Not only did I slap in a 115 jet right away and adjust air mix screw. I threw On a Uni filter , modded or gutted air box , whacked off spark arrestor, and now just waiting for pipe to get here . Wow did this all really wake up my little China girl . Oh installed NGK plug while I was at it . I am a bit too rich right now , but woth pipe it should be almost perfect . Besides test ride at 27 degrees and 3 " snow on ground made for a intersting ride . The snow was flying pretty good to see where I need a bit more protection around Uni filter . Will do that tomorrow . Now if only the pipe would get here >:(

Can you snap a pic of the air filter setup. Stock carb?

Rail32 03-04-2017 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMM (Post 245359)
Can you snap a pic of the air filter setup. Stock carb?

For some unknown reason I can only load one pix per post . Hope this helps . If you want more , pm me your email and I will give ya lots more . Maybe you can post them here for me than . Or anybody else also , it's cool .

JMM 03-05-2017 12:43 AM

The easiest way is to set up a "photobucket" account, which lets you kid pics up and hosts them for you. I have the app on my phone. Take a pic with my phone, open the app, add it to my Photobucket account, copy the image URL and just post it here. You. An put up as many as you want. And it saves the pics for you, so if you want, you can delete them off your phone to clear up space.