ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Pure Dirt (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Going to look at a slight h fly used Apollo 250 RX (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17227)

Huck369 08-04-2016 10:32 PM

Going to look at a slight h fly used Apollo 250 RX

What should I look for on it?

"Slightly used"

Weldangrind 08-05-2016 10:31 AM

As a buyer, anything you can find to pick it apart. Remember that things like replacement plastics can be hard to find, so cracked panels lower the price.

Aside from that, look for everything you would normally check out on a bike. Operate every switch and function, ensure that each device works properly. Ensure that it starts and shifts as it should, and confirm that the bars are in line with the front wheel. Clamp on the front brake and see if the front end rocks, indicating loose or damaged steering bearings. Attempt to wobble the front and rear wheels from side to side, pointing to loose wheel bearings.

Which motor is in it? Is it a CG? If so, is there clearance to remove the valve cover without removing the gas tank?

Don't mention your China Riders affiliation. You want it to seem like you're alone in the wilderness with a China bike. The price often drops even further.

Take pics! We'd love to see it.

Huck369 08-06-2016 10:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't got to look at it yet, and may look at a Honda tomorrow, so if I get the Honda ill not get up to see the Apollo....Will have to see what pans out(the Honda is closer, and about the same money)

BlackBike 08-07-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 227363)
As a buyer, anything you can find to pick it apart. Remember that things like replacement plastics can be hard to find, so cracked panels lower the price.

Aside from that, look for everything you would normally check out on a bike. Operate every switch and function, ensure that each device works properly. Ensure that it starts and shifts as it should, and confirm that the bars are in line with the front wheel. Clamp on the front brake and see if the front end rocks, indicating loose or damaged steering bearings. Attempt to wobble the front and rear wheels from side to side, pointing to loose wheel bearings.

Which motor is in it? Is it a CG? If so, is there clearance to remove the valve cover without removing the gas tank?

Don't mention your China Riders affiliation. You want it to seem like you're alone in the wilderness with a China bike. The price often drops even further.

Take pics! We'd love to see it.

I bet car dealers hate you.

Weldangrind 08-07-2016 12:17 PM

I'd never go to a dealer. I'm so Scottish, it's ridiculous.

BlackBike 08-07-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 227571)
I'd never go to a dealer. I'm so Scottish, it's ridiculous.

Aha ya boy

Huck369 08-08-2016 09:11 AM

I ended up buying the Honda...a 2006 CRF230F Has BBR fork Springs and a BBR Exhaust System, and a BBR Cam...but wouldn't start, it's getting almost no spark, but can see a faint spark sometimes...has good compression, so I'm guessing a bad CDI unit, or possibly a bad coil....I already have a good running CRF230, so I'll swap part off it to see what it needs, it should make a good one....

We're getting a new Exchange Student this year, that is a 17 year old boy that rides Enduro in Italy, so I wanted to get him something to ride while he is here.....it will be good to have someone else to ride trails with

Will be our 10th exchange student, but the first time having a boy.

Weldangrind 08-08-2016 12:16 PM

Awesome! I'd love to see pics of your new bike. So cool that you have a running bike to swap parts with for troubleshooting.

Good for you for preparing a bike for your exchange student. So many take in exchange students only for the money.

Huck369 08-08-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 227690)
Awesome! I'd love to see pics of your new bike. So cool that you have a running bike to swap parts with for troubleshooting.

Good for you for preparing a bike for your exchange student. So many take in exchange students only for the money.

We don't get paid anything to keep an exchange student.......we've had 9 so far, all girls (I had 3 daughters, but they are all out of the house now)
This will be our first boy...

We've really enjoyed the experience of learning other cultures....

I've got it all apart right now, but will post some pics when I get it running and back together.

BlackBike 08-08-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck369 (Post 227695)
We don't get paid anything to keep an exchange student.......we've had 9 so far, all girls (I had 3 daughters, but they are all out of the house now)
This will be our first boy...

We've really enjoyed the experience of learning other cultures....

I've got it all apart right now, but will post some pics when I get it running and back together.

Just checking the specs on those crf s the other day. With the 6 speed, and fuel injection and 70mph capability. Nice. Also no issue for you buying used with your other bike :tup:

humanbeing 08-08-2016 05:14 PM

I highly suspects this model compatible w/ some chinese parts ...
For example stator is "equilateral triangle" bolt pattern which can be found in chinese Honda... Anyone knows # of magnets / distance btw holes in the CRF230F flywheel?

Huck369 08-10-2016 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 227690)

Attaching a picture....
It's running now, cleaned the coil ground, and cleaned the carb (was nasty) and fresh fuel, and it fired right up :) :yay:

Weldangrind 08-10-2016 11:20 AM

Terrific news! Is that a stainless header?

Huck369 08-10-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 227911)
Terrific news! Is that a stainless header?

Pretty sure it is painted steel....

Weldangrind 08-11-2016 12:39 AM

If you have a moment to see if a magnet sticks to it, I'd be grateful.