ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   I sheared more sprocket bolts... (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17080)

mq1991 07-15-2016 11:16 AM

I sheared more sprocket bolts...

So I replaced the stock sprocket bolts with Honda ones, hoping I wouldnt have to worry about the little buggers anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/aVhPuzOh.jpg

Now, instead of the stud shearing off into the hub, the nuts are popping the threads off just above the sprocket. I cant seem to find out how its doing this.

I installed the posts with locknuts, it doesnt seem like they loosened, just popped the threads right off of there.

Any suggestions for some other sprocket studs? Not sure what to try next...

Thanks guys.

2LZ 07-15-2016 11:43 AM

That's really strange. You running nitrous? ;-)
One would think that with the c-clip plus nuts, it would stay put.
What torque spec did you use?

Azhule 07-15-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 224972)

That's my question too... How many ft lbs did you do?

mq1991 07-15-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 224972)
That's really strange. You running nitrous? ;-)
One would think that with the c-clip plus nuts, it would stay put.

Nah I think its just the raw power of the hawks engine. :lol:

Its very odd, because the way it broke the sprocket is still driven. The threads still protrude into the sprocket.

I did 20ft-lbs. I checked them after 20 miles and 100 miles and they were still snug. Now about ~800 miles later that's how they sit. Only one locknut still on.

I ordered some of the "high tensile strength" ones for taobao, I guess we will see how those work. These stupid things are hard to find at a reasonable price.

Weldangrind 07-15-2016 12:04 PM

You're going to need to re-jet to take away some power.

I suspect that 20 ft/lbs is a little high. Assuming it's around 5/16" and about Grade 5, the spec would be closer to 13.

Weldangrind 07-15-2016 12:06 PM

Did you change the bushings as well? Perhaps Honda bushings would be a good plan.
Also, red Loctite might be better than high torque on the fasteners.

mq1991 07-15-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 224983)
You're going to need to re-jet to take away some power.

I suspect that 20 ft/lbs is a little high. Assuming it's around 5/16" and about Grade 5, the spec would be closer to 13.

Dang... I figured it was close to the fork clamp bolts.

Another thing I noticed when installing these studs is that they were smaller than the originals. You can see in the picture the larger hole where the original size wouldve fit. The sprocket has two sets of holes, so if I can find the correct size hopefully it'll stay together.

Azhule 07-15-2016 12:09 PM

Maybe go to the lower end of the "Sprocket Torque Specs", 18 - 28 Nm (13 - 20 ft lbs)

Might try going with 13 - 15 ft lbs of torque to hold those bad boys in place without breaking them ;)

mq1991 07-15-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 224986)
Did you change the bushings as well? Perhaps Honda bushings would be a good plan.
Also, red Loctite might be better than high torque on the fasteners.

No, the bushings still seemed to be in good shape. It was a very snug fit fitting the posts into them. (How do you get the bushings out?)

Ill do that next time, im planning on locknut with lock washer with red loctite. :D @ 13-15 ft lbs. lol

2LZ 07-15-2016 12:17 PM

This is all good to know since I ordered a new sprocket this morning! :-)

mq1991 07-15-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 224992)
This is all good to know since I ordered a new sprocket this morning! :-)

Hope yours stays put! ;)

I also dont ride my bike very nice. I wheelie it alot, jump it higher than its supposed to, hit the rev limiter every once in awhile, hard(fast) trail riding, etc.

Im happy for the most part with how its held up. The fuel tank still has me ticked though.

Ariel Red Hunter 07-15-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mq1991 (Post 224963)
So I replaced the stock sprocket bolts with Honda ones, hoping I wouldnt have to worry about the little buggers anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/aVhPuzOh.jpg

Now, instead of the stud shearing off into the hub, the nuts are popping the threads off just above the sprocket. I cant seem to find out how its doing this.

I installed the posts with locknuts, it doesnt seem like they loosened, just popped the threads right off of there.

Any suggestions for some other sprocket studs? Not sure what to try next...

Thanks guys.

Looking at your picture, it appears that the sprocket is bearing on the threaded end of the studs. If that is so, I'm not surprised they sheared off. The load must always bear on the unthreaded part of the studs. Find longer shanked studs, even if you have to use washers to get the nut tight.:)

mq1991 07-15-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter (Post 225002)
Looking at your picture, it appears that the sprocket is bearing on the threaded end of the studs. If that is so, I'm not surprised they sheared off. The load must always bear on the unthreaded part of the studs. Find longer shanked studs, even if you have to use washers to get the nut tight.:)

Its very odd though, if you refer back to my previous pictures, my stock ones broke on the smooth stud side. The threads are fine, but I know what your saying.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16797

It seems to be a specialty part... is there a common replacement?

Ariel Red Hunter 07-15-2016 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mq1991 (Post 225003)
Its very odd though, if you refer back to my previous pictures, my stock ones broke on the smooth stud side. The threads are fine, but I know what your saying.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16797

It seems to be a specialty part... is there a common replacement?

Did you notice the nuts for those studs? They are shouldered. I find it hard to believe that the English AND the Indians have better steel than the Chinese. I never have heard of an English bike using the "Enfield Cush Hub" breaking studs. And the Royal Enfields made in India don't seem to have this problem either. >:

bogieboy 07-15-2016 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mq1991 (Post 225000)
Hope yours stays put! ;)

I also dont ride my bike very nice. I wheelie it alot, jump it higher than its supposed to, hit the rev limiter every once in awhile, hard(fast) trail riding, etc.

Im happy for the most part with how its held up. The fuel tank still has me ticked though.

my 2 cents... this is why they are shearing....wheelies... I sheared 3 sets of those wheelieing.... I endes up supermoro conveeting with ninja 250 wheels and a cush hub that doesn't use stipud little pins.... I forget where I got em but I found some hardesned larger diameter pins somewhere... fit the big holes in the sprocket... didn't have issues with that....