ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New guy (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17071)

turanic5038 07-14-2016 11:01 AM

New guy

Hey, new member here. I decided to register because I have my first bike on back order, the CSC TT250. I figured this forum would be a good wealth of information to begin tinkering around with my bike once it comes. I'm probably going to add a bunch of upgrades such as digital instrument cluster, aftermarket exhaust, rejetting, etc. My only other riding experience is on a Honda XR100 .... so I'm hoping the TT has enough balls to satisfy my speed craving

So thats basically it. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of new people on here. The TT seems to have gained a small cult following.

:hi:

BlackBike 07-14-2016 11:32 AM

Welcome , we will see you posting in the middle of the night like the rest of us.:ohno:

Weldangrind 07-14-2016 12:27 PM

Welcome!

At the risk of sounding like your Dad, please plan to take a MSF course. Totally worth it.

turanic5038 07-14-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 224858)
Welcome!

At the risk of sounding like your Dad, please plan to take a MSF course. Totally worth it.

I'm definitely planning to take one in lieu of my license test, apparently they allow that in NY. From what I've heard from friends they just make you do figure eights in a parking lot for your license test. Also the insurance benefits are definitely a plus.

I'm actually going to take the written permit test at the DMW today. Should be easy enough now that I'm read up on the DMV's motorcycle manual...

BlackBike 07-14-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 224858)
Welcome!

As you probably know, after 2009 we had no choice here in Texas for motorcyclists (msf)

It was great as a refresher for the operation of a 4 wheel automobile as well after decades of driving.

Weldangrind 07-15-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turanic5038 (Post 224863)
I'm definitely planning to take one in lieu of my license test, apparently they allow that in NY. From what I've heard from friends they just make you do figure eights in a parking lot for your license test. Also the insurance benefits are definitely a plus.

I'm actually going to take the written permit test at the DMW today. Should be easy enough now that I'm read up on the DMV's motorcycle manual...

Excellent! Good luck on the written portion.

Weldangrind 07-15-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBike (Post 224864)
As you probably know, after 2009 we had no choice here in Texas for motorcyclists (msf)

It was great as a refresher for the operation of a 4 wheel automobile as well after decades of driving.

I had no idea. I have no problem with such things being mandatory.

turanic5038 07-15-2016 08:01 PM

Passed the permit test... It seemed more centered around driving a car which seemed weird but I got my interim class M

Weldangrind 07-16-2016 10:27 AM

Congrats! Will the MSF course be on your new bike when it arrives, or on a rental bike?

turanic5038 07-16-2016 12:12 PM

I believe they provide training bikes at no additional charge, so I'm planning to take the course over a weekend before my bike comes. I think its around $350 for the whole thing.

This is what the MSF site says: "Prerequisites: Ability to ride a bicycle. Full protective attire is required. Must be of legal age to operate a motorcycle on the street. Depending on State, participants may need a driver's license and/or motorcycle permit.
The Basic RiderCourse is a complete entry-level, learn-to-ride class that consists of at least 15 hours of formal classroom activities and on-cycle riding exercises conducted over two or three days. About five hours are devoted to learning activities in the classroom, and around 10 hours of hands-on practice are included. Training motorcycles are provided. Successful completion may lead to a waiver of the motorcycle license skill test and an insurance discount."

So what do they mean by successful completion *may* lead to a waiver?

Weldangrind 07-17-2016 01:45 PM

Perhaps some States don't allow it. I'd give the local MSF office a call to find out about NY.

turanic5038 07-17-2016 08:11 PM

The NY DMV website says that its okay, but im definitely going to give MSF a call once I get the money together to register for a course. With the horrible bureaucracy here you really never know.

BARLOW 07-18-2016 09:27 AM

those classes are free in illinois